I think throughout life there are certain periods you will remember more clearly and enjoy more. It sounds dismal to say that we coast through life but life can’t be exciting all the time can it? My year of being 23 has been life changing and memorable the entire time. As I approach 24 I would like to give thanks to my year of being 23. Here’s to 23 and what happened:
• I had my heart broken – this taught me so much! I can’t tell you how good it is to get your heartbroken. You feel like a fool, your pride is wounded and it hurts like fucking hell. All this I suffered (the pain I cannot describe & I felt like an absolute mug) however it was also like waking up from a dream. I was able to put everything into perspective, not continue to look at things through rose tinted glasses and become myself again. Cliché that you lose yourself in a relationship and I really hate that I did. But now I’m back! I couldn’t have gotten through it without the help of my friends and one particular friend who literally picked me up and put me back together and made me remember who I am.
I think this has a lot to do with why 23 was such a good year for me. This happened shortly after my birthday and the future that I thought I had changed instantly. I probably would have continued on my mediocre path, trying to please other people instead of myself. I remember last summer thinking ‘Do I want this to be my life? ...Really?’ but I just continued to carry on, as we do when we coast. It also changed my personality. I’m more selfish now but in the good way I think…I hope. I know what I want, what I like and what I deserve and I apply that to everything; men, friends, activities. I have done so much this year for me, not for anyone else.
•Friends – I’ve gained more friends this year and kept it touch better with the ones I already had. I feel like I’m a part of a solid girl group of friends now. Apart from just having a whatsapp group where we ramble on all day about rubbish I feel like we support each other properly through the bad times too. I’ve also formed stronger bonds with friends at work too and now we socialise outside of work as well as have a whatsapp group.
• I've taken part in two 10k runs – I have got the running bug! I love it, I’m not the best at it but I really enjoy that runners high and will carry on running.
• I've played sports- I played a lot of sports at school and always wanted to get back into them and now I have. This past year I’ve played badminton, netball and handball. I’ve either done this by myself or gone along with friends, both ways I really enjoy playing.
• I’ve taken up singing lessons - Every Wednesday since May I’ve gone along to group singing lessons by City Academy. It’s a great activity to break up the week, meet new people and just enjoy something for yourself. I love music and I like to sing (when no one can hear me). I’ve really enjoyed my singing lessons, my confidence has improved and so has my voice. I’m finishing my lessons by the end of August. I may carry them on later or join a choir, I haven’t decided yet.
• I've sang at Rockaoke- as a result of my singing lessons. I had no stage fright for the first time in forever and had so much fun rocking out on stage covering a Foo Fighters song. Now making it a regular thing!
• Dates- I’ve been on a few dates. None that are really good enough to progress to the second or third date but I’m learning about single life and the dating game.
• I've done more exploring- Whether it be in London or little road trips or just a walk around the local forest. I’m appreciating nature a lot more and love going for a country walk, or a long drive to explore somewhere outside of London. And exploring London, finding little quirky things to do or behaving like a tourist.
• I got a job! - A real life grown up job in an office! No more dealing with the general public in the library. I’m on the career path starting of as a Marketing Assistant.
So that's 23 in a nutshell! Don't forget all the other times like seeing Arsenal win the FA Cup at Wembley! Holidays, gigs, dancing, partying and just having fun with friends!
I've had such a good year and can't wait to see what 24 will bring. I'm kicking it off in style in Milan for my birthday with my two best friends! Is there anything better?